Gary was born and raised in Hazen, Arkansas. After graduating from Hazen High School, he attended the University of Arkansas at Central Arkansas where he obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting. He next attended the University of Arkansas at Little Rock School of Law where he obtained his Juris Doctor degree.
Gary is a partner at Hilburn & Harper, Ltd. and has successfully represented clients in a wide variety of family law and general litigation matters since 1982. He regularly appears in Arkansas state and federal courts, where he has been lead counsel on numerous bench and jury trials throughout his career. Gary also has a vast amount of experience appearing before regulatory agencies.
Gary has served as a special justice on the Arkansas Supreme Court and often sits for Circuit Court Judges in Pulaski County, Arkansas. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Family Law, has received the Preeminent AV rating by Martindale-Hubble, and has been named the 2017, 2019 and 2021 Pulaski County Family Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America. He has been a featured speaker at numerous continuing legal education (CLE) seminars/classes for both the Arkansas Bar Association and Pulaski County Bar Association and has authored a division in the Family Law Section of the Arkansas Form Book. Additionally, Gary served as a Prairie County District Court Judge for 21 years.
Gary enjoys spending time with his wife and family, coaching youth sports (baseball and football), traveling, and spending time on his farm. Further, Gary is an avid fan of the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Sat as District Court Judge for 21 years in Prairie County
- Served as a special justice on the Arkansas Supreme Court
- Serves as special judge on many occasions for the Pulaski County Circuit Court
- Has been a featured speaker at numerous continuing legal education seminars/classes for the Arkansas and Pulaski County Bar Associations
- Authored a division in the Family Law section of the Arkansas Form Book